Thursday, July 26, 2007

Start with the Rock, End up in the Kiddie Pool

Last Saturday was the guerilla-style Asian Man Records 11th Year anniversary show headlined by The Lawrence Arms, held at a tailgate at McAfee Stadium (Oakland A’s). Seems that Mr. Park forgot to celebrate his 10th year anniversary, so he just adjusted by a year, and everyone ended up a winner.

After recovering from the formal anniversary show the night before at Bottom of the Hill, Josh Sixkiller, Michelle, Joe and I met up at the Mucky Duck for a drink before catching the train. Turned out that Joe and 6 ended up wearing the same Cobra Skulls T-shirt that we had all bought at their show a couple of weeks previous. So they looked like a really lame gang, or at least a two-man team.

Once we arrived in Oakland, we wandered to the far end of the parking lot where about 150 kids were enjoying the free, unsanctioned show. Mike had brought a couple of kegs, 600 hot dogs, and tons of Cds, Stickers and Posters, all gratis.

I’m glad that Mike Park is still able to put out bands he likes, and has always tried to help out the community in whatever way he can. He’s one of the nicest guys I’ve ever met, in the band business or otherwise, I even wore my ancient Ska Against Racism show staff shirt for the event.

The Larry Arms played great, even though it was early and the band were obviously nursing hangovers or tremendous proportions. More booze (from the kegs and my 375ml of SoCo) always helps. The lead singer pointed out Joe and 6’s matching t-shirts, and taunted me for liking one of his previous bands (The Broadways).

After the show on the way back to the city, I ended up meeting a recent MN transplant on BART. The fact that she was wearing a D4 shirt was a pretty big giveaway. So our enlarged group made their way down to the bar where 6 had to work and enjoyed a few post concert beers.

That would have been a nice end to the day, but of course, I can’t let that stand. My buddy Dan owns Underdog’s Sports Bar and a little birdie told me there was going to be a Wet T-Shirt Contest that night. Now, I’ve never been to a Wet T-Shirt contest, but it sure seemed like a good idea to go after a nice long day of drinking in the sun. So a group of us left one sports bar to go meet some more friends at the other.

Every time you bought a drink you received a raffle ticket. If your ticket was pulled out of the fish bowl, you were the big winner who got to pour a pitcher of water on the contestant, who was placed in a kiddie pool on top of the bar. As luck would have it, my number got pulled for the last entrant. I made my way behind the bar, received my pitcher, and then took a long swig from it. The rest is explained in the below video. Be sure to check out my water fountain impression, you have to look closely.

Now be aware, this is NOT SAFE FOR WORK. I do not want anyone to get in trouble by pasting this 8 second clip of awesomeness in their browser. You have been warned.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KhBZUg0MQQ

I ended up the evening passed out on my friend Doug’s couch. The end.

No comments: