Wednesday, April 14, 2010

I Can’t Believe I’m Dumber Than Eli Manning

So, after a long, long hiatus I’m back. I hope to be active once again; we’ll see how it goes.

Most of you may know this, but for those that are reading and do not, Diana and I have moved to Seattle, WA as of April 1, 2010. We live in a neighborhood called West Lake Union. It is right in the middle of the city, and we can see the Cascade Mountains in the background and seaplanes taking off and landing numerous times a day in the foreground. Diana had an opportunity to keep her job working from home, so we decided to put down roots further north on the west coast in the hopes of eventually becoming homeowners again.

In order to become homeowners, however, I need to get gainfully employed. Yesterday I had a request to come in for a face-to-face meeting with a seafood company that I think may be a great fit on both sides. We’ll see how that goes, but that’s not what I wanted to write about in this space. This could have been one of my favorite job interviews ever, mostly because when I got to the meeting, the first thing the HR person did was sit me down in a conference room and inform me I’m taking the Wonderlic test, much to my surprise; and delight.

I immediately smile and get really excited. For those of you who don’t know, the Wonderlic Personnel Test is a twelve-minute, fifty-question test used to assess the aptitude of prospective employees for learning and problem-solving in a wide range of occupations. It has become best known for its use in the NFL pre-draft assessments of prospective football players, and some of these famous players test scores have been leaked in the past. I was cruising right along, but that 12 minutes moved along fast. When I had downtime between interview sessions, I started mentally kicking myself as I was still working on questions that I hadn’t finished and figured out the answer. Oh well.

When the HR rep came back she said I did really well on the test. I’d figured I’d do ok, but I think she was a little taken aback when I asked what I had received, I think most people don’t ask that. I didn’t care, however, as I wanted to compare myself to the players in the league, so the first thing I did when I got back from the interview was look up other NFL player test scores (it is an interesting aside to note that I, with my nice test score, took the wrong bus home from the interview and ended up 4 miles away from home and had to double back, so maybe the test IS flawed). I will put myself in the appropriate ranking below.

6 – Vince Young (allegedly retook the test and got a 15)
10 – Jeff George
12 – Percy Harvin
14 – Donovan McNabb, David Garrard
15 – Steve McNair
16 – Dan Marino
22 – Brett Favre
28 – Drew Brees
30 – John Elway
33 – Tom Brady, Steve Young
36 – Hell Yeah, You Know It!
37 – Drew Bledsoe
39 – Eli Manning
48 – Ryan Fitzpatrick (who allegedly finished in 9 minutes), Kevin Curtis, Benjamin Watson
50 – Pat McInally (Only known NFL player to get perfect score, was a punter for the Bengals from ‘76-‘85)

Damn you Eli Manning, damn you.

2 comments:

J. Ryan said...

Minnesota's own Eric Decker scored the highest at the combine this year -- an impressive 43.

I gotta find out where to take this test. I sure couldn't do anything else at the combine better than any prospective NFL player. Except maybe drink Gatorade.

Unknown said...

I always knew you were smarter than Tom Brady.